Monday, April 9, 2012

Scandal

Trifecta challenge word for this week: scandal

3   a: a circumstance or action that offends propriety or established moral conceptions or disgraces those associated with it
     b : a person whose conduct offends propriety or morality <a scandal to the profession>

"Y'all are some scandalous bitches," she said with a laugh after we all slammed down our shot glasses. It was something red this time; I had quit pretending like I knew what we were drinking by that point. I was still pretending like I was part of the group though, despite no real knowledge of their inside jokes. It seems like the "scandalous bitches" phrase was the aftermath of a cocaine binge some long-ago night. So I smiled and laughed along with her and all the others. A genuine smile surfaced when the fake one reminded me of one of the Madagascar penguins admonishing the others to "smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave." I missed my children. What was I even doing at this club? The real scandal here was me: mother of the year, drunk and trying to fit in where I'd never belong.


*Personal note - in case anyone I know IRL reads this, I do have friends who say that, and I really don't know where it came from, but those friends have never made me feel like I don't fit in. Also, I haven't been to a club since I had my first child in 2009 (actually, it was before that because I was definitely not out partying while pregnant, and I don't know if any of those ladies would still call me "friend" because that's about the last time I saw any of them - I hope they are all well & loving life).

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh, have I been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno - as long as she's not driving and the kids are cared for, I think she's just got motherguilt here. Have fun Mom of the Year! You deserve a break!!! So her friends are sketchy. She's not going to go snorting with them. But I loved her scathing tone towards herself when she said 'the real scandal here'

    http://jesterqueen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dialogue and love even more her inner dialogue. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really well done; quite a creative take on the prompt in first person narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is well written...engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I like the first person point of view as Sandra mentioned.

    ReplyDelete