Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tempestuous


I will be using Merriam-Webster's word of the day as a prompt. I will also be going through the alphabet, so today I will write about something or someone starting with the letter A. Today's word is tempestuous: "of, relating to, or resembling a tempest : turbulent, stormy." Also, toady's post will be more "flash fiction" than short story:


Bradley looked at Sharon. Sharon looked at the ground. The tips of her ears had turned red, and the color seemed to be spreading. Bradley wisely looked away.

"Abortion?!" she shrieked, "you KNOW how I feel about that! It's OUT of the question."

"Well, I was just thinking..." Bradley started and faltered under Sharon's tempestuous stare.

"It's just that..." he tried again, failing again. "I'm sorry," he finally offered, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"I'll do it alone if I have to," Sharon spoke with a ferocity Bradley had only seen hints of in her pre-pregnant self.

"No, no! I want to be involved," Bradley quickly stated, "I just didn't want you to think you had to. Just that you have a choice, that's all."

"I HAD a choice, and I made it. It's out of my hands now." Sharon smiled at Bradley, and he reached for her.

"I knew you'd never consider it," he said, "Not really." He smiled too finally, "We'll make it work, me and you."


No comments:

Post a Comment